Sunday, June 19, 2011

Caffeinated Rainbows

So, I'm sorry that I have been so out of touch lately, but to be fair, you try working at an office supply store for a few weeks... it would make anyone a little out of touch with reality... it's the fluorescent lighting... messes with your head. But you remember that fork I was talking about a few weeks ago? Well I think I'm at another one... and Lord knows I need to make a decision so no tragic and unexpected pushes in the right direction happen. I've really been feeling like God is using this time in my life to prepare me for the things in my life that are going to be permanent, I don't have any reason for that, but it's what my gut tells me. So I've been weighing my decisions carefully and trying to do what God wants me to do and lately I feel like I've been so caught up in doing the "right" thing that I've let my good intentions consume me. Granted, it doesn't sound like such a terrible problem, does it? But let me tell you something... if I was contemplating doing something wrong I could carry on, reminding myself that there's always forgiveness later. (That's right. Give all the disapproving looks you want but you know you've done it too.)

But Friday, I went out for a little coffee, because we all know if there's one place to go for sound answers... it's Starbucks (I know, I obviously learned nothing from my honest tea experience)... and on my way down... I saw 7 different rainbows. SEVEN. And it really got me thinking about Noah. You know, sometimes I feel like we don't give the guy enough credit. I mean, I guess I get why you never hear about his drunken spell and questionable interaction with his son after the flood but I don't think I ever really considered that God wiped out the entire world, but chose to save Noah and his family to continue on human kind... umm... that's kind of a big deal. If God had looked over Noah like we do, well, then we never would have had the chance to look him over to begin with... or we would have gills... and I'm thankful neither of those circumstances apply. You know, I bet people thought Noah was crazy. Heck, Noah probably thought he should check himself into the metal ward at times. But Noah was faithful. He was obedient... even when he didn't understand. And God spared him for it. It says "God remembered Noah."

God told Noah those rainbows were a symbol of His promise; yes, His promise not to wipe out all of man kind (you can uncross your fingers now), but also His promise to remember the covenant, to remember us. And it made me think, it's not so much about me remembering God in my decision, but knowing that God has never forgotten me... and no matter what I direction I decide to go... as long as I'm chasing after His voice, just like Noah, God will remember me. Sometimes... it's just a matter of waiting for the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment